I can certainly sympathize with Susan; why is it that no one else(teachers
and administrators) realizes what is involved in being a LMS?

I worked for a principal who would only come in the library during 1st
period(the rest of the day she nevr left her office)  when there were no
study hall classes scheduled and all the students were in a core subject
class; if one of these classes was not in the library the library would be
empty because the teachers needed the students in class.  She would look
around with a pained expression and say "There's no one in the library."
Used to drive my aide and I crazy; the rest of the day we would be filled
and running around helping students and teachers but she never walked in
then.  I would even say that to her-you should have been in the library 4th
period.

I don't know what the answer is; I wrote monthly reports but stopped that
because I never got any feedback; I did do an annual report; I tried to
communicate with the principal formally and informally; if I saw her in the
hall I would pull her in to show her a display of student work or something
else that was going on.

I kept circulation statistics, attendance figures and in the reports I would
list topics classes researched; no. of classes in the library; special
projects with teachers; special events/projects the library sponsored;
everything I could think of.  In short I did everything the professional
literature tells you to do.

Did she ever read them?  I don't know bcause I never got any feedback but I
kept copies in case I was ever questioned about what I do all day.

Despite all my outreach and positive reports and making myself visible it
never failed that the principal always walked in when there were no students
in the library;  I don't think she ever fully comprehended what I did.  Does
any administrator?  Perhaps we should be targeting adminstrative
organizations and speaking to future administrators about the role of the
LMS.

I'd be intererested to know how others have solved this dilemma.

Diane Pozar
Monroeville, Pa.
We read to know we are not alone.  C.S. Lewis