The original question:
 > I've been collecting links that LM_NETTERS have suggested for years and
 > have a Word document of over 90 pages by subject. Since some of these are
 > over a year old, I want to check to see if there are dead links to remove
 > from my list. Does anyone have, or recommend a good program that could
 > check them out for me? I went to ZDNET and they have a whole list of
 > programs that I could download to do this (maybe). I don't know which to
use.

I didn't see Xenu Link Checker in your list, so I may have gotten
it from C/NET instead of ZDNET. But I do recommend it. It's small
(especially for a Windows program). It does the job you need done
(checking links). It produces a handy results html document that
you can use to help you fix broken links. It doesn't force you to
do a bunch of stuff you don't want to do (like too many Windows
programs do).
The file is XENU.ZIP and is 210K in size. Use Winzip (or other
unzipper) to extract the individual files.

there are plenty of link checkers on the shareware lists. I
like Biggbyte's Infolink checker. You can download an evaluation
copy that is full featured and allows fifty uses

I use a program that is free in its scaled down version, called linkbot.

<A HREF="http://www.netmechanic.com/">HTML code help - webmaster tools check
html tags and links - NetMechanic.</A>

I had good results with LinkScan at http://malch.elsop.com/quick.cgi
It is free and pretty fast and easy.

        ((.)   (.))         Linda Strauss, Librarian   lstrauss@myhost.com
  ---oOo-----(_)-----oOo--  Tottenville H.S. Library
   peeking over the edge    100 Luten Ave, Staten Island, NY 10312
       of technology                (718) 356-2220 ext 2054
Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a
listening ear, an honest compliment on the smallest amount of caring - all
of which have the potential to turn a life around. --Leo Buscaglia