If I were you, I would stick with Big6 all the way through. It is
simple, yet complete. It has been awhile since I have read Kuhlthau, but
I recall that it misses one of the steps Big6 covers. I think it is
either 1 (task definition) or 6 (evaluation). It is a bit more logical,
and much easier to implement with students (I have used both at Middle
and High School level)

Sticking with Big6 also lines you up better with the IP2 (new
Information Power) and will most likely be known by those outside the
info lit / library spectrum. School Districts are using it as the basis
for curriculum in media.

While at the Big6 site, look around. There are a lot of materials
available, from handouts, PP presentations, lessonplans, etc. There is
also a list to join that does not have very heavy traffic.

Check the ALA site also. There is a book, _Information Literacy
Standards for Student Learning_ that should be on your shelf. There are
two new IP books also. I don't have titles on hand, sorry. They are
workbook format and could be used with Jr. College, maybe HS upper
levels.  I only had a brief look at them last week.

I have a collection of info lit bookmarks at:
http://www.crypticmachinery.com/bookmarks/informationLiteracy.html

If you are interested I could send you a couple of PP presentations you
could use or springboard from. I did one for an inservice for HS
teachers. The other is focused for students and how to research, based
on info lit.

also, take a look at www.fno.org  Well written stuff there.

One way to help in integrating the research process with the teacher's
product requirements is to develop a Pathfinder. That gives the
researcher a guide to follow and can be developed to allow periodic
assessment of the progress being made. Either the CL teacher or you may
do assessments depending on where the kid is.  I have one developed for
5th grade that would work through 7-8 with topic and some language
changes.

It takes a bit more than covering 'the steps' to insure quality results.
Actually, the Evaluation and Reflection portion isn't just at the end,
we loop (and yes the better ones do it more intuitively), constantly
reevaluating all the decisions being made along the way. That's why it
may be better to let them go a bit astray and discover their mistake
than to just redline and tell them they are wrong.

Please feel free to write if there are further questions. Would be glad
to swap jobs ;-)

Robert Eiffert,
Librarian at Image Elementary
http://www.ima.egreen.wednet.edu/library.html