Dear LM_Netters,

You are a terrific group, and I am turning to your collective wisdom.

I am beginning a job tomorrow where I must create information literacy classes at
different levels for students from grade 7
through junior college.

I did a quick and dirty search in www.dogpile.com and am looking through the
archives, where I found one useful website, so
far: http://score.rims.k12.ca.us/infolit.html

Do any of you have materials or recommendations or suggestions to share with me as
I create my courses?

I have read Information Power and Eisenberg/Berkowitz' BIG6 research model,  and I
have skimmed Pitts/Stripling's Research
Process, Flip-it, Kuhlthau's Information Seeking, but I feel I need some concrete,
practical handouts or websites or something
to get me started teaching.

My first thought is to use the Big6 or FLIP-IT for the younger grades and Use
either Kuhlthau or Pitts-Stripling for the older
grades.

I realize that for the reaearch to be meaningful it must be integrated into the
curriculum and it should be graded as a
classroom teacher's assignment done for a grade, so that the students take it
seriously.  I realize that the students will
internalize and remember the research process better if they learn something they
are interested in, and it is a real
search--not a theoretical excercise done to learn library skills.

I am thinking that the teachers should assign the topic to be researched, and the
students could create a multimedia
presentaion in PowerPoint to share their research results.

One thing I am having trouble explaining is how does the new research models differ
from what oustanding students have been
intuitively doing all along, i.e. before the paradigm shift from lecturing as the
preferred format of instruction delivery,
and the current constructivist classroom.

Another thing that troubles me is how can I stretch out teaching Information
literacy skills or the research process into an
ongoing course?  It seems that once we have covered the steps in the research
models, the students should be able to do good
research.  I think it will take only a few sessions to cover the steps, and then
what???

Well, I am sure I can come up with something, but rather than re-invent the wheel,
I would really appreciate it if someone has
handouts or websites or textbook recommendations.

Thanks in advance,

Mary Ziller
Kids Connect Volunteer
Overbrook Park Library