A BIG THANK YOU for everyone that responded to my question about working as
a LMS before actually taking a cataloging class. The majority of the
respondents confirmed that cataloging is necessary, but a LMS job can be
taken and done effectively before taking it. Many of the responses confirmed
that this has been a similar situation that they were in when taking a job.
Some suggestions were:

*to set the books aside until completing the course.
*catalog the books while taking the course, after learning how of course.
*use online cataloging systems
*ask another librarian in the district for help

There were some responses that felt cataloging was necessary before taking
the job, as not to create an unorganized, messy and incorrect collection
that would not allow students and teachers to locate the materials that they
needed.

I have decided to wait until the Fall to take cataloging so that I am not
rushed in my learning, and also because 2 other courses (Informational Books
for Youth and Legal Issues in Library Science) are being offered. These are
rarely offered courses, and will not be offered again before I graduate.

I have an interview in a K-5 school April 15, and am hoping that all goes
well. I have not interviewed for a job in 10 years, since taking my present
job, which is in an academic library.

Thank you again for your responses, and I hope that I will "officially" join
the ranks soon.

Taliah Abdullah
Grad student- Univ. of IL-Urbana
bklover10@hotmail.com