I just got my copy of Meet the Monsters back with one of my K
teachers' note saying "(this book) is not an appropriate book for a 5
year old!"  When I read through it, I can see her point.  "So you
have just met a vampire and you think he is dead.  Dead but not dead.
Undead.  That's a vampire all right.  He drinks blood.  Your blood if
you are not careful.  From your neck where the big vein beats under
your chin."  Goosebumps is pablum by comparison.  What do you do with
books that are great for 7 and 8 yr olds, but may be a bit much for
kinders?  My kinders are clamoring for scary stories.  There's lots
of stuff that looks scary (Velcome is a big hit, so are the Eeek
books), but isn't gruesomely explicit.

Has anyone had complaints about Meet the Monsters?  What do you think
about having it out for kinders?  How do you handle this kind of
situation??

Once we had a rash of Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark fans in a
first grade.  Some parents objected.  I ended up telling the kids who
insisted it was ok for them to take it to bring a letter from home.
One grandma wrote back saying that the whole family loved scary
stories (I think they read them together).

--
Johanna Halbeisen, Library Media Teacher
Woodland Elementary School (preK-4)