This is an amazing list serv. I have been reading 5 days worth of great sharing --
major snow storm in the Northeast. The wealth of advice about advocating our
profession has been extremely helpful . My issue is how a couple teachers assume
that I am available to provide them with additional "free time."

Recently, my adult library aide retired after 11 years of dedicated service to our
high school. He will be turning 80 years young in February. Bill added so much to
the atmosphere of the library and was such a positive influence on our young
people. Last year, the students dedicated the yearbook to him.

My Principal and I will be interviewing candidates for an adult library aide in
January. In the meantime, I have made only one minor adjustment to student-use of
the library -- study hall students must obtain their passes from me during the
period that I am team teaching World History in the Library. (I have my degree in
Secondary Social Sciences as well as my MLIS degree.) There has been no problems
since this does not restrict classes and students from classes to use  library's
resources.

Last week was an extremely busy week. My school has a 7-class-period-day. On a
daily basis,  three to four classes use the Library for research activities and/or
word processing. On Friday, I had 5 classes scheduled. I only close the Library if
2 or more classes are using the Library's resources and/or computers.  In the
afternoon, the Library was inundated with study hall students. There was a
behavioral issue. Since there was a class in the Library, I asked the teacher to
keep an eye on the other students so that I  might return the student to his study
hall. What I discovered was the following: one study hall teacher was downstairs
photocopying; the other study hall teacher was just returning to her empty study
hall.

Ideas generated from you regarding the need to schedule specific times to do our
prescribed Library jobs is a definite must. It validates what we really do.  I must
do this on a daily basis and not when I have time. Normally, I print a weekly
library schedule but with Bill retired I was not able to do one last week. Also, at
the beginning of each school year, I send a memo to Teachers outlining specific
reasons that students may use the Library.

I share this with you as a forum. I will be speaking to the two teachers tomorrow
about the above mention situation. Any words of wisdom will be greatly appreciated.

TY

Maureen D. Aube, LMS
Franklin High School Library
Franklin, NH 03235

maube@franklin.k12.nh.us
mdaube@together.net
"Children remind us of who we were while helping us to see who we have become."