Reasearch was started at John Hopkins in 1996 on allergies to peanuts to
see exactly what protien it is that causes the allergy.  Since the
allergy is caused by a protien and not the actual "nut", it can be
airborne. Granted there would have to be "peanut dust", but it does
happen.  - and I quote:

"Nearly 100 people die from all food allergies each year. Peanuts are
used in a variety of food products, and some sufferers can't tolerate
even proximity to peanuts, making it difficult to avoid exposures that
lead to potentially dangerous allergic reactions. "

http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/press/1996/NOVEMBER/19964.HTM

see also:
http://www.allerg.qc.ca/peanutallergy.htm
http://www.isrp.com.au/isrpcom/journal/ed_abstracts/abstract__dawe.htm

and here a couple of articles article, Canadian, on the Duty of Care and
for schools, that might help with the original question - looks like
some school have had to deal with this issue - there is quite a bit on
the net about it. A further search might lead to a other policies and
procedures that have been done in schools. (I just googled these)

http://www.calgaryallergy.ca/Articles/Peanut_Allergy_medlegal.html
www.haltondsb.on.ca/download. asp?sMenuID=108&filename=anaphylaxis.pdf

Have a great day!

Robin Bartoletti
Library Media and Information Technology
Northeastern State University