I am reposting this since I got a number of returned - undeliverable e-mails.  I
guess my use of certain words set off some filters.  I will try to change them all
this time.  If you received the first hit, don't bother reading this.

Susan

My original query asked if The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks was age appropriate for
a 7/8 school.  I also asked for other "grown-up" books that might be purchased for
this age group.  I am posting all of the answers I received, first the pro then the
con.  I guess you (and I) will have to read it to see if it passes our litmus test
and that of our community.

If you have not yet replied, and have other "grown-up" books to suggest, please
reply to me and I will post a second hit.

PRO
The Secret Life of Bees has been popular here.  I'm going to also suggest The Honey
Thief, a book in the same vein that might have the same appeal. Tuesdays with
Morrie and his other book have also been popular.

We have it (and it has 3 reservations for it currently, due to the recent
movie that came out!) It's a very sweet story, and yes, appropriate for MS.

I have every Nicholas Sparks book on my library shelf, except for "Nights in
Rodanthe." I don't think it's too appropriate for the 7/8 crowd. As far as other
adult books, I put just about every John Grisham novel out for  circulation.
However, I found "King of Torts" a bit. I often buy these books  for me and then
donate them to the library when I'm done with them. Another  series of adult books
that I have on my shelves is the Mitford series books by
Jan Karon. The kids aren't reading these as much as the teachers are, at this
point.

I have Tom Clancy, some Stephen King titles, Dick Francis, Agatha Christie, and
Lillian Jackson Braun

We have several books by Mary Higgins Clark and a few by John Grisham and Tom
Clancy in our middle school library.

The absolute sweetest, most touching love story (not a "romance novel")  I have
ever read was "A Walk to Remember" by Nicolas Sparks. They made a movie of it last
year, but, as usual, it wasn't close to being as good  as the book. Absolutely
appropriate for thinking 7th and 8th graders.

I have listened to several of N. Sparks books, unabridged, on tape and was always
pleased at the lack of pro***fanity and se**ual content.  I think some might be
quite appropriate for eighth grade and some seventh graders.  I would say the same
thing about Richard Paul Evans (The Christmas Box, The Letter, The Locket, ...).  I
am glad that there are still authors who can and do write about romance without
graphic se***ual content so I can read (or listen) without blushing.   =-)

Nicolas Sparks' (One of my favorite authors) books are usually pretty tame.
I think the students that would be interested in reading them would be
ma***ure enough to handle the content.  The Notebook is a very safe read in my
opinion.

Not all of them, but I think The Notebook and his follow-up to that, The Wedding,
would be okay. The Guardian is a good one, too, involves a dog, but has a sad
ending.

We have all of his books in our Middle School Media Center. The students really
enjoy them.

During the past few years, we have had several girls who are quite ma**ure for 8th
grader level.  They have specifically requested and enjoyed his novels.  I borrowed
THE NOTEBOOK from the high school for one girl who would read anything he wrote.
Generally, I think most of his books would be okay for middle school but I wouldn't
put them as a top priority.

The Notebook, and A Walk to Remember would be appropriate.  Sparks never goes  into
graphic s** scenes.  The movie of Notebook spiced up the book quite a bit.   Both
these Sparks titles are very popular among my young teens at my public library

CON
I have the same question.  I have read the book and my opinion is that I do not
think it is age appropriate.

The notebook does have a s** "scene" in it that I would feel uncomfortable having
my daughter reading.  "A Walk to Remember" by Sparks, however, is very appropriate.
 Another "grown-up"  book that I enjoyed and would be appropriate was Grisham's
"Skipping Christmas."

--
Susan Burstein
Portland Middle School