Hello,
The following list contains everyone's suggestions for Japanese tales.
Thanks to all who contributed.  You are a great help.

Eva M. Roeder
Media Center
Wheelock Elementary School
24 Adams Street
Keene, NH  03431

eroeder@sau29.org

How about Momotao (The Peach Boy)
One of the most famous Japanese folktales is that of "Peach Boy" or
"Momotaro." It's the story of an old couple who find a giant peach but
when they cut into it to eat it they find a boy inside and raise him
as their own. When he's grown he goes out to seek his fortune and by
sharing his food gains some animal friends who help him defeat a
castle full of Oni monsters (ogres) thus earning him a small fortune
that he shares with his parents. HTH

or The Grateful Statues (Kasa Jizo)?

check out this booklist-
www.mrsd.org/~library/japanbooksREVISED.pdf

or
www.mrsd.org/~library/japanbkstobuy.htm

I created the lists after spending three weeks in Japan on a Fulbright
Memorial Fund Teacher Program.

Hi. Dover has a paperback, The Japanese Fairy Book, by Ozazbi. A picture
book fairytale in my former library was A funny little woman by Mosel.
Other listed in Freemen's More books kids will sit still for are:  Little
One Inch by Barbara Brenner, Screen of Frogs: an old tale by S.
Hamanaka,  The Tongue-cut sparrow by M. Ishii, The Badger and the magic
fan: a Japanese folktale, by T. Johnston, The greatest of all: a Japanese
folktake by Kimmel, The Tale of two tengus by K. McCoy, The Stonecutter by
G. McDermott, The Two foolish cats. (There are others on the list, but
they're for 1--4 grades.

Hi Eva,
Here are some online links
[ http://www.indiana.edu/~japan/kamishibai/index.html
]http://www.indiana.edu/~japan/kamishibai/index.html

[ http://web-japan.org/kidsweb/folk.html
]http://web-japan.org/kidsweb/folk.html
[ http://web-japan.org/kidsweb/index.html
]http://web-japan.org/kidsweb/index.html

[ http://www.aaronshep.com/stories/049.html
]http://www.aaronshep.com/stories/049.html

Lily and the Wooden bowl / Alan Schroeder
The Silver charm / Rober D. San Souci (an Ainu tale)
The Tale of the Mandarin Ducks / Katherine Paterson
The Boy of the Three-Year Nap / Dianne Snyder
Jojofu / Michael P.Waite
Three Samurai Cats / Eric Kimmel

and two versions of the same story:
The Boy Who Drew Cats / Arthur A. Levine
The Boy who Drew Cats / Margaret Hodges

Roly Poly Rice Ball is a good one that I remember sharing with students
when I taught in an elementary library; I don't know that it is in
picture book format.  It is in the book Twenty Tellable Tales by
Margaret MacDonald.  The students really enjoy this one and it can be
done with audience interaction. Two others are the Stonecutter
(McDermott, Gerald. The Stonecutter: A Japanese Folktale. New York:
Viking Press, 1975.) and the Tongue-Cut Sparrow.  Although it's kind of
outdated, I have a web page about folktales from different countries
that is located at:
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Agora/8623/asia.html and might help you.

Tasty Baby Belly Buttons--or another version Peach Boy
The Hungriest Boy in the World
Eileen

I've read The Badger and the Magic Fan  ( I don't have the author's name)

The Stonecutter, by Gerald McDermott. I like the version called The Two
Stonecutters, by Eve Titus, better.
Deb Hendrickson