I'm going to come in from the opposite point of view.  I do allow games in the
library - under certain peramaters (Sp!).

We're an AR school and I give "High AR Point Passes" to the top 25 readers in the
school points wise.   That group can come to the library after breakfast and lunch
and "hang out".  They read, talk, hang out , surf the net (we have filters) and
play computer games.  They do know they have to relinguish the computer if it's
needed for an academic purpose.

However to keep the passes, which are highly coveted they have to keep reading
since I issue new ones every time the report cards come out.

We have teachers who play solitarie on their computers during their lunch hour, so
I figure why can't the kids just relax during their lunch time too?

They may not be reading during lunch time, but they are reading at other times -
right now it takes a minimum of 125 AR points to earn one of these things.  We are
a low SES, mostly ESL etc. etc. school yet I have 5th graders who are reading
Tolkien and C.S.Lewis.

My top readers are almost all boys and they think the library is really "tight".
Considering we are dealing with 11 year olds kids I think that's a high compliment!

Guusje Moore
Librarian
Housman Elementary School
Houston TX