From: Guusje <guusje@MINDSPRING.COM>
To: LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Subject: Re: [LM_NET] Gen: Why can't I play games?
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 12:51:07 -0600

I'm going to come in from the opposite point of view.  I do allow games in
the library - under certain peramaters (Sp!).

We're an AR school and I give "High AR Point Passes" to the top 25 readers
in the school points wise.   That group can come to the library after
breakfast and lunch and "hang out".  They read, talk, hang out , surf the
net (we have filters) and play computer games.  They do know they have to
relinguish the computer if it's needed for an academic purpose.

However to keep the passes, which are highly coveted they have to keep
reading since I issue new ones every time the report cards come out.

We have teachers who play solitarie on their computers during their lunch
hour, so I figure why can't the kids just relax during their lunch time too?

They may not be reading during lunch time, but they are reading at other
times - right now it takes a minimum of 125 AR points to earn one of these
things.  We are a low SES, mostly ESL etc. etc. school yet I have 5th
graders who are reading Tolkien and C.S.Lewis.

My top readers are almost all boys and they think the library is really
"tight".   Considering we are dealing with 11 year olds kids I think that's
a high compliment!

Guusje Moore
Librarian
Housman Elementary School