I agree that we should not view blogs as a replacement for a web page.
And I agree with Peter that you don't need to know HTML to create and
maintain a web page.  Netscape Composer & Front Page are just 2 easy
programs to use.  Moreover, there is definitely still a very importatnt
place for a "traditional" web page.  The web design software also
provides more flexibility and funcionality for a web page design.

That said - I have talked to many librarians who are not allowed to
upload their own pages to the web, and have various roadblocks placed in
their way when creating/maintaining a library web page.  That is when a
free blog host can be the perfect alternative.  Also, in spite of how
easy web page software is - the whole process is still not as easy as a
blog.  I have become so used to maintaining my high school library page
that I do consider it to be an easy process - but there is definitely a
learning curve.   A blog is also the easiest option for material that
only needs to be available for a short time.

Jacquie

"The Librarian, whose job is to heal ignorance, to keep life safe for
poetry and to put knowledge smack dab in the middle of the American
way."

From The Philadelphia Inquirer, 9-20-03
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jacquie Henry, MLS