Dear All- I am trying to do some fact checking on a
book I am reviewing and have hit a wall.  ALthough the
book does not specify a city or time period, various
details, including the fact that Barnum's American
Museum on the corner of Broadway is mentioned (
therefore NYC sometime between 1841 and 1865, when the
myseum burned) and that there are pigs roaming the
city ( driven out after the cholera epidemic of 1849,
for which they were largely blamed) give me a fairly
narrow time period of between 1841 and 1949 in NYC-
there is a policeman in one of the illustrations -(the
police force began in 1844, so now the time frame is
narrower) I can tell from photographs that the unifrom
is correct in terms of tunic, badge placement etc.- my
problem is- the uniform has a red tunic with gray
pants, and I can find obviously no color photographs,
or any sites which mention the color of the uniform at
this time.  I called the New York City Police Museum-
they said their historian ( who apparently  works only
as a volunteer) would call me back- that was last
week.  Can anyone refer me to any source that would
tell me what color an NYPD officer's uniform would
have been at that time? TIA, Grace

Grace Oliff, Librarian
Ann Blanche Smith E.S
1000 Hillsdale Ave.
Hillsdale, N.J. 07642
grace_1335@yahoo.com
Library Web Page- http://home.earthlink.net/~david916
Part time Lecturer, Children's and Young Adult Literature
Rutgers SCILS
Fairleigh Dickinson University

Looking for last minute shopping deals?
Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.