I am working on a new presentation that will be a narrated slides
presentation, with an extensive handout and a web 2.0 Internet use policy. I
hope to have this out by the end of May.

Using a filter that can allow for different levels of filtering is helpful.
But also, it is exceptionally important that a system be in place that will
ensure rapid override of the filter - for safe school or instructional
purposes.

Given that all filters are totally ineffective by high school because
students can easily bypass them, my suggestion would be to focus more
effectively on monitoring.

It is possible that student work posted online could be considered
Personably Identifiable Student Record under FERPA, so disclosure of
intention and parent signature is really necessary. FERPA is obviously a
pre-web2.0 law so this is unclear.

My materials will address all of legal issues that I have been able to think
of - FERPA, free speech, copyright, disability access, and publishing torts.

Nancy

--
Nancy Willard, M.S., J.D.
http://csriu.org

Cyberbullying and Cyberthreats: Responding to the Challenge of Online Social
Aggression, Threats, and Distress (Research Press)

Cyber-Safe Kids, Cyber-Savvy Teens: Helping Young People Learn to Use the
Internet Safely and Responsibly (Jossey-Bass)