If it will help -- I made a poster of this, and had displayed it
behind the circ desk in every library I worked in.  When necessary, I
just pointed to it and said "would you like a copy?"

I Read:

On the last page of Richard Peck's memoir Anonymously Yours (Messner,
1991) are these words:

"A writer can't help but divide all the world he knows between readers
and nonreaders.
I can only reach for the readers, and through them, the future. I
conclude then, in the voice of a young reader,

I read because one life isn't enough, and in the pages of a book I can
be anybody;

I read because the words that build the story become mine, to build my life;

I read not for happy endings but for new beginnings; I'm just
beginning myself, and I wouldn't mind a map;

I read because I have friends who don't, and young though they are,
they're beginning to run out of material;

I read because every journey begins at the library, and it's time for
me to start packing;

I read because one of these days I'm going to get out of this town,
and I'm going to go everywhere and meet everybody, and I want to be
ready."

--reprinted with permission of the author.