I teach at Cushing in their summer session and have long loved their library, their
collection and their librarians. I was horrified this summer to see the dismantling
of a really excellent collection. I have had trouble even talking about it.

Janet Gross

School Librarian

Corlears School

New York, New York

: The All-Digital Prep School Library
> To: LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
>
> Two words: So Sad!
>
> From the Boston Globe Article:
> http://bit.ly/YVRsE
>
> [Snip]
>
> Cushing Academy has all the hallmarks of a New England prep school,
> with one exception.
>
> This year, after having amassed a collection of more than 20,000
> books, officials at the pristine campus about 90 minutes west of
> Boston have decided the 144-year-old school no longer needs a
> traditional library. The academy?s administrators have decided to
> discard all their books and have given away half of what stocked their
> sprawling stacks - the classics, novels, poetry, biographies, tomes on
> every subject from the humanities to the sciences. The future, they
> believe, is digital.
>
> [Snip]
>
> And to replace those old pulpy devices that have transmitted
> information since Johannes Gutenberg invented the printing press in
> the 1400s, they have spent $10,000 to buy 18 electronic readers made
> by Amazon.com and Sony. Administrators plan to distribute the readers,
> which they?re stocking with digital material, to students looking to
> spend more time with literature.
>
> Those who don?t have access to the electronic readers will be expected
> to do their research and peruse many assigned texts on their computers.
>
> ?Instead of a traditional library with 20,000 books, we?re building a
> virtual library where students will have access to millions of
> books,?? said Tracy, whose office shelves remain lined with books. ?We
> see this as a model for the 21st-century school.??
>
> Source: Boston Globe
> Hat Tip: Net-Gold
>
> --
> Gary D. Price, MLIS
> Librarian
> Editor, ResourceShelf and DocuTicker
> Visit ResourceShelf and Docuticker
> http://www.resourceshelf.com
> http://www.docuticker.com

> You can prevent most e-mail filters from deleting LM_NET postings
> by adding LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU to your e-mail address book.
> To change your LM_NET status, you send a message to: listserv@listserv.syr.edu
> In the message write EITHER:
> 1) SIGNOFF LM_NET
> 2) SET LM_NET NOMAIL
> 3) SET LM_NET MAIL
> 4) SET LM_NET DIGEST
>
> * LM_NET Help & Information: http://lmnet.wordpress.com/
> * LM_NET Archive: http://www.eduref.org/lm_net/archive/
> * EL-Announce with LM_NET Select: http://lm-net.info/join.html
> * LM_NET Supporters: http://lmnet.wordpress.com/category/links/el-announce/

HotmailŪ is up to 70% faster. Now good news travels really fast.