Absolutely!  I am a high school library serving about 900 students.  I
continue to buy about 1,000 new titles a year.  Remember, the original
purpose of public libraries was to provide information and books to
people who either couldn't afford or didn't have access to books and
informational resources.  Yes, I suppose eventually everyone will be
able to afford thus have the internet, its databases, and Kindles and
electronic books.  I guess one could extrapolate that at that point
will we even need libraries?  If patrons can access everything at home
for free or pennies, why would they even need to go to a library?
Thus, without public libraries, the saved tax money could be used to
subsidize databases and resources for everyone?

But, until that happens if ever, libraries need to continue to acquire
books.  I don't imagine college and university libraries have stopped
buying them.  College students no longer use them--no textbooks or
assigned books?  If schools no longer have books, will the students be
prepared for either higher education or able to practice self learning
via public libraries?

Bob Hicks, librarian
Arkansas City High School
Arkansas City, KS 67005