Good Morning,

I just posted what I learned about printing AR labels.  I have, yet another, AR
questions.  I've been through the archives and found a little, but not much on my
topic.  I love AR and the possibilities it offers.  As an intrinsically motivated,
obsessive reader, I would have killed for a "tracking" program like this as an
elementary student.

However, times have changed and kids are more into instant-gratification than I
was.  How can we work (or rework) our program to make it fair and challenging for
all?  I hate the point system.  Teachers set general goals of 10 points per kid.
One kid reads a 10 point book and is done.  Another kid has to read 20 .5 books -
never gets done, gets frustrated, and quits reading.  I've seen this happen too
many times.

I've never been formally trained in AR (trying to rectify that now), so I don't
know what else may be available.  Does anyone use anything other than the points?
I want the most challenged readers to be as successful (and challenged) as the
expert readers.  In my mind, that is the only way this program will work
successfully.  Thoughts?

hg

Holly Gillum, LMS
Anderson Elementary
Crossett, AR 71635
exlibrishg@yahoo.com

"Reading gives you some place to go when you have to stay where you are."  ~Mason
Cooley