I am currently marking masters-level uni assignments in which the students
are all acknowledging the importance of a supportive principal in creating
an information literate school community and how they might persuade those
who are ignorant, reluctant or complacent about embracing an active library
program to come on board.  There are many, many articles on this (a few are
listed below) but the one that resonates with me is the one that suggested
that you need to get a sense of the principal's vision for the school and
then align your approaches to that.  I don't have the specific reference
available but the theory is enough.

Other articles that are worthy of following up are ...

Haycock, K, (1999) Fostering Collaboration, leadership and information
literacy: common behaviours of uncommon principals and faculties NAASP
Bulletin Vol. 83 (82), pp 82-87

Oberg, D, (2006) Developing the respect and support of school
administrators, In Teacher Librarian  Vol. 33(3) pp 13-18

Hartzell, G. (2002) Why should school principals support school libraries?
Eric Digest, November (EDO-IR-2002-06)

Farmer, L. (2007) Principals: Catalysts for collaboration. In School
Libraries Worldwide 13(1) pp 56-65

That's not to say that other articles are not worthy - it's just these are
all I have time to list right now if I am going to get this marking finished
on time.
Barbara

Barbara Braxton
Teacher Librarian