        Our administration abolished class rank about 2 years ago.  The
problems was that many of our students who opted to take a more difficult
course of study were being penalized for this.  That is, there was either no
way to distinguish these students from the students who were taking an
easier track, or the colleges just didn't care. Since the administration
couldn't decide how to resolve this conflict, they decided that the easiest
way out was to abandon the class ranking system.  So far there seems to be
no fallout from colleges.  Maybe it's too soon to tell.  One result has been
an increase in the number of students opting to take AP courses.  Hope this
helps a little.