Denise (et al),
   Although I'm embarrassingly behind in reading my lm_net mail (I'm on
message 25 of 658 unread postings) and someone may well have answered you
later in the mail, in case they haven't and while I'm still thinking
about it, here's what I can tell you.
   Acrobat is a "rich text" translation and viewing program for Macintosh
and Windows operating systems (though Windows isn't technically an
operating system).  I'm not sure whether one can literally create a
document from scratch with Acrobat; I don't think you can--it's not a
word processor, per se.  However, it's supposed to transform a document
created with any major word processor (for example) on either platform
into a file which can be viewed on either platform--complete with all
fonts and graphics (I'm not 100% sure about the graphics) exactly as they
looked on the screen of the creator, whether the person viewing has those
fonts available on his/her system or not.  The Acrobat "creation"
(translation) program _can_ also create hyperlinks between sections of a
finished document (and between different documents?)
   Example:  You use Microsoft word on your Macintosh (System 7) to
create a beautiful flyer, complete with graphic elements.  You then run
it through the Acrobat "creation" module (program) to produce an Acrobat
file which you can transmit (online, over a LAN, or on diskette--via
sneaker or snailmail) to me.  I use Ami Pro in a Windows environment, and
I don't have the same PostScript fonts you used in the document.
However, I have the Acrobat "reader" module (Windows version, so it will
run on my system).  As long as I can get my disk drive to read your
diskette (if you gave it to me that way--if you transmitted
electronically, it's a moot point, and if your Mac has a Superdrive and
you saved it on a DOS-formatted diskette, my machine can read your
Mac-saved file), I can fire up my Acrobat "reader" module and view or
print your document looking exactly as it did when you saved it.  I
_think_ I can also edit it, and perhaps even create hyperlinks (click on
a "hot spot"--icon?  word?--and Presto!, you're in a different part of
the document, or viewing a pop-up note, etc.)...if _I_ also have the
"creation" module (in a Windows version, of course, so it will run on my
system.)
   The AECT grant will provide (in addition to a site's $35) _one_ copy
of the "creation" module (in _both_ Mac _and_ Windows versions, if you
request), with permission to network that copy; a site may not _duplicate_
that copy for multiple use by standalones, however (I think).  The site
also receives one copy of the "reader" module, and _does_ have permission
to not only network but also _copy and distribute_ as many copies as
needed for educational purposes (this includes giving copies to students
to take home with them and--I assume--keep).  The "reader" module is also
provided in both Mac and Windows versions, if requested.
   I think the limitation on multiple copies of the creation program is a
drag on the real usefulness of this for staff and students.  On the other
hand, Adobe's normal price _per copy_ for this is well over $100, I
think, for a single-user license, and they have to stay in business.  I
read just last week that the industry response to Adobe Acrobat has been
"lukewarm".  But it's a step in the right direction.  California
Technology Project is including it (I believe both the reader and
creation modules) with their new GINA (Graphical Interface for Network
Access) software, which supposedly will allow California educators using
GINA/CORE (Calif. Online Resources in Education...our low-cost,
state-subsidized access to Internet) to transmit and view/print documents
in "rich text", as opposed to boring ol' straight-ASCII.
   We'll see what the reality is.  I've received Acrobat (I spent $35 of
the principals's money, feeling it should prove useful eventually), but
have not installed it or even looked at the documentation yet (above info
is from my memory of an Administrative Circular from our Technology
Center in the district...and my reading of an article about it months ago
in a computer magazine.)  Calif. Tech. Project has my (personal) $40 for
GINA, but I haven't received the software yet.
   Hope this helps someone.

        Steve Grant, Library Media Teacher
        La Jolla High School (619) 454-3081 x228
        sgrant@ctp.org

On Mon, 14 Mar 1994, Denise W. Kash wrote:

> Fellow Netters,
> Has anyone out there had experienc with Adobe Acrobat
> Software.  There is a grant in affiliation with AECT that will
> distribute $5 million worth of this software.  I've obtained
> Adobe's fact sheet on the software but am still unsure how it
> will help me on our building networks.  If you've had experience
> with it or know someone who has or merely have more info. on
> it, please email me.  I'll be glad to compile any hits. Thanks!
> dwk
>
> Denise W. Kash,  Supervisor of Libraries, Textbooks & Technology
>                 Stafford County Public Schools
>          1729 Jefferson Davis Hwy.  Stafford, VA   22554
> (703) 899-5761     FAX (703) 720-1563   EMAIL - dkash@mwc.vak12ed.edu

LM_NET Archive Home