This is the third message I've seen regarding this topic so rather than
reply to the individual, I thought I post my response.  A few years ago,
I picked up a pamphlet from the public library in Irving, TX (want to give
them credit :-)  It was published by ALA and called "Outstanding Books
for the College Bound".  There is no date on the back but their number is
800-545-2433.  I have no idea if this is still being printed or not but
you could call.  As I recall I picked up other pamphlets that were
similar but were subject oriented.  I can't recall the exact titles but
they were something like "Fiction for the Young Adult" or "Biographies for
the Young Adult", etc. Hope this helps.

Margo Rudder
rudder@tenet.edu

On Fri, 8 Apr 1994, Teri Stewart Lesesne wrote:

> Cheryl:
>
> A few years ago Connie Epstein surveyed the Ivy League colleges asking
> them what books kids ought to have read before they arrived in college.
> She found that there was no magic list.  Moreover, most professors said
> they would be happy if they just got kids who still liked ot read.  They
> advocated giving grades based on reading by the pound.  I like this
> approach a lot better than :  Here are the books good for you.
>
> Teri
>
> P.S.  Hope mto see you and other LM-Netters at TLA.  Stop by our booth,
> Sam Houston State UNIVERSITY, Dept. of Library Science.

LM_NET Archive Home