Here's a surprise I was served today.  What do you think?  At a
district committee called to review materials selection policy, it
seemed to be concensus that because the district supports the freedom
to read statement by ALA, it is superfluous to include non-assigned
materials in any materials reconsideration procedures.  Parents with a
problem are to be told they can request the materials -- available, but
not required reading be made unavailable for their particular child.
Materials reconsideration for denying an entire class' access is to be
the kind of case the district will follow the traditional materials
reconsideration policy.  I was surprised to appear to be the conservative
element this afternoon.  One school board member, a teacher, a principal,
two students, and 2 parents -- one a lawyer and one very much inclusionary
type said the issue of allowing parents to tie up staff in committee
meetings that would automatically result in the material remaining available
was unnecessary.  Tell them up front our position.  I asked why it was
libraries that developed this procedure in the first place; but noone
seemed worried.  Is this a paradigm shift I can't see, yet?
Theresa Toy t_toy@mentor.unh.edu Rundlett Jr High, Concord, NH 03301

LM_NET Archive Home