Well, I got a LOT of wonderful ideas for celbrating National
Library Week/Month from our wonderful LM_netters!  Here are the
many suggestions...the list is long, but filled with "jewels"!
I decided to have all of the staff members give me the name of
their favorite childhood book(s), which I will post.  I know my
students will enjoy that!

Lorna McCloud           Teacher-Librarian
King Elementary         Dale City, VA
lmccloud@tjhsst.vak12ed.edu

1.

> Here is one idea for National Library Week (or National Library Media
> Month): Our library media center is hosting a Pajama Party Read-In one
> evening from 7:00 - 8:30. We have invited county and school district
> officials to read to groups of students and parents. Here is the schedule:
> 7:00 Arrival
> 7:10 1st story reading session
> 7:30 2nd story reading session
> 7:50 Parents and children (in pajamas and with sleeping bags, etc.) read
> together in library
> 8:10 Cookie social in hallway
> 8:30 Bedtime (at home!)
>
> Each guest reader will read his/her story two times. Their commitment is
> only for 45 minutes. Library volunteers and faculty will bring homemade
> cookies. It should be fun!
>
> * Barbara A. Jansen          Live Oak Elementary     *
> * Librarian                  8607 Anderson Mill Road *
> * Round Rock I.S.D.          Austin, TX  78729-4706  *
> * bjansen@tenet.edu          512/331-0996            *

2.

> From: Sally Ruth Ray <srray@tenet.edu>
>
> Our library media center is using the theme Readers of the Roundtable
> advertised by Demco in a recent catalog of promotionals.  They offer a
> wide variety of materials to order to promote NLW, however, we are using
> the theme and adding our own touches.  Our touches include storytimes
> featuring "dragons" using books such as Prelutsky's The Dragons are
> Singing Tonight and The Knight and the Dragon by Tomie dePaola, and a
> Design Your Own Coat of Arms contest for students in the older grades.
> There are many good titles on knights and the middle ages for reading
> aloud too.

3.

> From: Nancy Elizabeth Prochaska <prochask@tenet.edu>
> Houston, Texas

> WE are having a party for the teachers.   They can nominate their most
> dedicated reader : we intend to give those most dedicated a coupon for
> free ice cream in the cafeteria.

> We will have a reading contest: come in and check out a Marvelous
> Mystery.  Those students who check one out will be elibgible to win free
> movie passes.  They will enter their names and the titles of their books
> into a drawing.
> We have decorated the library with banners and balloons.  Our theme is
> Celebrate Reading

4.

> From: Debra Whitbeck <whitbeck@tenet.edu>
>
> We are asking the students to Pull the Plug on TV and video games.
> Prizes and incentives are abundant.  We did a skit and rap to kick it off
> and will have a Family Celebration to conclude.
>       Meanwhile, I'm scheduling one language arts period for each grade
> level in the library for collaborative, whole language kinda things
> during NLW.  We're doing our own version of Night of a 1000 stars with
> teachers and parents as guest readers.  Kids will recite choral
> readings.
>       We're also having a Storybook Character Day.  I'm going to be the
> Paper Bag Princess this year.

5.

> From: ml05611@llwnet.ll.pbs.org (IS 391)
>
> We are having a full-day read-aloud with local celebrities -
> including student volunteers. We will have a local artist, a
> councilwoman, a basketball player, senior citizens,
> police and fire department reps.
> Anne Dykstra  IS 391 Brooklyn NY  ml05611@llwnet.ll.pbs.org

6.

> Lorna,  I am an elementary librarian in San Antonio and I, too, am not
> very creative.  I love to get ideas.  This is what I am doing for library
> week.  Under the theme a BOOK the OTHER CHANNEL, we are giving each
> student a form to fill out each day to count the minutes that they read
> at home.  Several schools in my district are doing this and then
> compiling a list.  I will also have a tea for the school facutly and
> staff.  Also I will be having a book character contest for the school
> divided up by groups of grades: K - 2, 3 - 5, and the teachers.  The
> prize in each group will be a book which I received from the PTA book
> fair. And last I will hold my 2nd annual kite contest.  Students will
> make at home a kite to commerate thier favorite book and then we will fly
> them on Monday afternoon (we're off on Fri. because of the Battle of
> Flowers Parade {Fiesta time in San Antonio}) with cookies and punch in
> the library after the flight.  Sounds ambitious and will definitely keep
> me busy.  Be sure to include me on your hit list.  I know that you'll get
> many many great ideas!  BFN Kathie Lyssy, El Dorado Elementary, San
> Antonio, TX 78233, email: lyssy@tenet.edu

7.

> One of my most successful ideas was Breakfast in the Library
> media center for all of the staff at my school. Very popular!
>  I did it several years ago but haven't had time/energy to do
> again! VEMA used to publish a booklet with activities. One of
> the most popular was the trivia calendar. I used them each
> year.Unfortunately, they are no longer doing this. I have a
> friend now in Iowa who chaired the VEMA SLMM committee when
> these were prepared.
>
> Greetings from the heart of the Shenandoah Valley!
> Karen Whetzel, P.O.Box 809, New Market, Virginia 22844
> Ashby-Lee Elementary School Library Media Center, Mt. Jackson, Va. 22842
> 703-740-8589 (h) 703-477-2926 (s) kwhetzel@vdoe386.vak12ed.edu

8.

> From: Watkins Linda <iu19@jove.acs.unt.edu>
> >
> Have you received many ideas? I'm like you--not many ideas and not
> creative. I do have the local public library children's librarian coming
> in for storytelling for 3rd and 4th grades. I need something for K-3. I
> would appreciate even 1 idea.  Thanks!

9.

> From: Sophia Smith <sosmit@eis.calstate.edu>
>
> Hi Lorna,
>       I am not a librarian, but the last week in April is National
> Holocaust Week. With all the acclaim and notoriety of "Schindler's List"
> it might be an appropriate topic to address.
> Sophia Smith

LM_NET Archive Home