Regarding CD Towers-I think we are going to outgrow them and there are
better ways to go. They are slow on a network and expensive. I am moving
towards increasing my HD drive space and
to buy towers. Right now I have SIRS on the file server and it is great.
I have two file changers in the file server to store EBSCO because it
takes up so much gig space--the full text
Elite takes up 980mg.) But Sirs is only 308 mg, Facts on File-360 mg..
there is room for 4 or 5 CD's on a 1.2 gig file server (along with the
other library automated system stuff.) Another advantage to CDs on the
file server rather than on towers is that it is then accessable by modem
when students dial in from home-thus they should be able to print out
Sirs articles, etc from home. As I understand they can not do this with a
CD tower, at least not with corel scsi pro.
Sarah Peckham
Marian High School
Omaha, NE 68134
(SPeckham@bluejay.creighton.edu)

On Wed, 13 Apr 1994, for Carole Beckwith,Holland Patent High Library,  wrote:

> hAS anyone had experience with networking CD towers as opposed to
> networking stand-alone CD ROM readers? We are contemplating putting
> MAS,full-text,a Union LIst CD, Information Finder,Time Almanac and maybe
> two of the Newsbank Indexes on the network . Has anyone had +or- experience
> with this?

LM_NET Archive Home