Two effective strategies we've used here for overdues --

        1) At the end of one year during which overdues were
particularly bad, I looked at a list of kids for whom I had to
spend an inordinate amount of my time to get them to return
library materials. I then created a category of Students, those
allowed "One Book Only" and limited those students for this
year. At least this way I can minimize the damage these chronic
overduers can cause, and I just tell them that they did not
prove to me that they were responsible enough last year to
handle more than one book at a time.

        2) When our 9th graders came over from the middle
school, I also got a list of people with outstanding materials
there. These kids were surprised to find out that what they did
in middle school really did have an effect on their high school
life, and I got a lot of materials back for the middle school.
Sandy Parks
Harrisonburg High School
Harrisonburg, VA
sparks@vdoe386.vak12ed.edu