Oh, no!  Yes, I want to know how we keep this standard going.  If the CIP is
dropped, surely the Library of Congress must realize that it will be
throwing any attempt at standardization to the winds....one might as soon do
what one of my lads suggested--just put books on shelves and hope for the
best.
As a matter of fact, I have been pestering Gale Research for several years
on the subject of CIP.  I would dearly LOVE to know how the Library of
Congress has catalogued and classified the Gale titles without having to go
back to Gale and pay for information which I know I've already paid for as a
taxpayer of this great land.  If I have a book's CIP, I am perfectly capable
of checking the Dewey number, checking the subject headings, and using
Mitinet-MARC or my library automation program, CTB/Columbia's Library
System, to create the necessary MARC records.  I trust my own typing more
than I want to pay for the privilege of correcting typos on purchased MARC
records...
Please will others join me in asking Gale for this little service: all they
have to do is print the CIP in its usual place.  Nothing special.  Just the
CIP...?  Maybe if enough of us ask, they will begin to see the advantage of
responding to the library community.
I am Sister MaryVeronica, of Xavier High School, NYC.

LM_NET Archive Home