Comments after viewing "Global Quest" three times:

Good Things:

* Fast pace.

* Wide variety of people testifying to its benefits including both
  adults and children.

* Statement from at Thomas Jefferson High School " the internet is
  another research tool like the library".

* Good overview of ways the internet is being used in schools.

* The goals of the production

Things I did not like:

* Misleading statements that could lead unknowledgable viewer to assume
  that *ALL* information is available on the Internet.  Great information
  is available, but sometimes searching the Internet does not pan out.
  It will *NEVER* replace books and periodicals.

* Statement from a middle school student that the latest book he could
  find in his school library on telecommunications was published in 1958.
  The copyright page in the book is shown.  I wonder how that librarian felt!

* Statement by narrator that "unlike most libraries, the information on
  the Internet is up to date...that's a definate slam!

* A student also insinuates that libraries do not have up to date
  information when he discusses needing information on virtual reality.

CONCLUSION:

Being involved with school libraries makes one more sensitive than the
average person to derogatory comments made about libraries and their
collections.  I think that the producers should have avoided negative
references to library collections, but I doubt if many people who are
not involved so closely with libraries will notice.

It seems to me they did this to reinforce the idea that access to the
internet will give schools the most recent information available on *ANY*
subject.  Not true.

I will suggest to the producer and script writer that they edit their
video, focusing on the Internet as a source of additional information
rather than as substitute for a library.

P.S. You really should see this video before commenting on it.

Permission is given in the opening to credits to copy for educational
purposes.
Gail M. Szeliga                                  Internet: 607.757.2187
Union Endicott High School                       Fax:      607.757.2139
Endicott, NY 13760                               Voice:    607.625.4839

"Sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
                                                        Arthur C. Clarke

LM_NET Archive Home