On Mon, 8 Aug 1994, Julie Walker wrote:

> I'm afraid I have no first hand experience with the Edison project
> schools; however, before this idea was conceived, Whittle was supposed to
> build a model school with private donations.  According to an article in
> School Library Journal, the staff of this school did NOT include a
> librarian.  The school never came to be --- lack of "funding."

Thanks for your response, Julie.  I was afraid of that.  I'll go look the
article up -- somehow I missed it.

I have also posted a similar request for information on K12Admin
network.  The responses that I have had so far have not addressed my
specific questions but have said that the Whittle Ed Corp may be in
financial trouble.

  Another
> article I read (source unknown) indicated that in the new concept (school
> management for hire) every student would have a computer in his/her home
> and the school would be heavily technology based.  Again, no mention of a
> librarian. What disturbs me most, as it does with Channel 1 services, is
> that the "corporation" controls all sources and flow of information.  The
> implications of this are, I believe, worthy of more than passing concern.

I, too, understand that technology at home AND school is basis for major
changes.  What you say about controlling sources and flow of information
*is* something for us to consider.  I had not thought that far into the
concept.

Betty
                            bhamilt@tenet.edu
Betty Hamilton, LRS             .----.
Brownfield High School LMC      |    |                Home:
701 Cub Drive, North        ____|*    ~~~~~~.         911 East Oak St.
Brownfield, Texas  79316    \               |         Brownfield, TX 79316
(806) 637-4523               \_/\        . /          (806) 637-4213
                                  \     {
                                    \  }
                                      ~

LM_NET Archive Home