On Tue, 9 Aug 1994, Michael Kankiewicz wrote:

> We all know what "yankee" means, but where does the term itself come from?
> Did it have something to do with the sound of a northerner's accent?  Thanks.
>
>                                               Michael Kankiewicz
>                                               Science & Engineering Library
>                                               University at Buffalo
From O.E.D.: 1789- Thomas Anburey, Br.officer,Yankee from Cherokee
"eankke" meaning slave, coward, applied to inhabitants of NE by
Virginians for not assisting is was with Cherokees; also c1713 farmer
Johanthan Hastings wo used it in sense of "excellent"; 1822 most widely
accepted word evolved fr NA Indian corruption of the word 'English' to
"Yengees" to Yankees; also plausible  as derisive nickname fr. Dutch
Janke, dim of Jan (John).

Barbara Gorter, Youth Librarian         (503) 248-5392
Midland Branch Library                  f: (503) 248-5189
805 SE 122d                             barbargo@nethost.multnomah.lib.or.us
Portland, Oregon  97233

LM_NET Archive Home