One last plea for help, hopefully, before my network project is
finished.  I need to know which of the following two scenarios is the one
I should follow.

I have three student computers and one circulation desk computer that is
being networked.  My technician has planned to wire it with coaxial cable
and have it set up in a line so that if one goes down, they all go down.
This way we will not need a router to run the system and can save some
money.  My file server has 16mg and 540 hard drive.

What I thought we were going to have was twisted pair and a star system
so that if one went down it did not effect the other.  I did not realize
that a router would be necessary.  I have cut my budget pretty close, but
if necessary can squeeze out another $500.00.

 Space is more a problem than money as, physically, I do not have room
for even one more computer.  However, the school is much too small and
probably within five years we will either expand or build a new one.

So, should I stick with the first system with the idea that prices will go
down, we may move or expand and with prices lower in a few years I could
get a bigger router for the same price as one I could buy today?  Essentially,
the only expense I would be duplicating if I went with the coaxial
system now and changed to twisted pair in a few years, would be for
different wire and then converters for the ethernet cards to make them
compatible with twisted pair wires.
wire.

How real is the problem of the system going down when you have the
straight line system?  I shudder to think of how that would mess up my
circulation capabilities.  All of my student machines are brand new and
my desk unit is only a year old.

If any of you who have struggled with this decision would like to advise
me please do so to my personal e-mail address rather than on the net.  I
need to make my decision by Wednesday morning, Aug. 17 which is tomorrow.
Seems I am always being confronted with last minute decisions.  If only I had
known as much when I started this as I do now, I would have made the right
decisions to begin with.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Jan Selby, Librarian
Columbia Catholic School