On Wed, 24 Aug 1994, David H. Ratner 904-676-1421 wrote:
> In no other profession
> are people paid a flat rate and then expected to work an infinite number of
> hours to accomplish a given task.  If teachers want to be treated as
> professionals they need to insist on a professional remuneration.

I can't speak to supplements since in our district dept heads get an
extra planning period but no extra money.  But as far as the statement
above, I don't know a single =salaried= job that doesn't require
sufficient hours to "get the job done."  Those who count hours are paid
hourly.  This is generally not considered a profession.  In conventional
wisdom, professionals are salaried, not paid hourly.  This remark isn't
intended to be a flame, just an observation.

LM_NET Archive Home