Hi folks,

I was truly surprised by the number of you who said you'd be giving talks
to administrators, school boards, teachers, parents etc. about Internet
access for kids when you asked for a copy of the opinion piece I wrote. (I
was informed only editors can write editorials :-))

Anyway, the reasons I gave in the piece came from a longer list I draw
from, depending on the audience.  Below they are briefly listed.

I think that as a group we could help each other by significantly adding to
the list. Send your reason out to the list for the rest of us!

I hope, if we work for kids getting access to this resource that it is a
heartfelt commitment, not because its a trend or because we've been
"ordered" to do so.

Send out your reasons!

Doug

Reasons Why Schools Should Have Internet Access: A Baker's Dozen

1. The Internet makes schools interesting and relevant for students.
I recently showed an award winning debate team some of the resources on the
Internet. "This'll really wow them," I thought! The response of these
bright young people? Polite yawns. 'You see, Mr. Johnson, we've had access
for two years using the account of one of our parents who works at the U."

Too many of our children find our schools have little to offer them. Those
children have few options: drop out of school and get an education in the
"real world," or find other educational resources which meet their needs.
The Internet brings "real-life" skills and resources to schools.

2. Our children will need to be able to use the Internet as informed citizens.

3. Internet skills will be increasingly demanded by businesses.

4. Internet skills are imperative to post-secondary academic success.

5. Electronic networks will improve support services to our students.
A popular saying is "it takes the whole village to educate the child." This
concept is growing in our community. Many community organizations offer
services which help our children, among them social services, the public
library, the juvenile justice system, and the YMCA. Most now have Internet
access and can use it for quick, accurate communication with the schools.

A corollary is that parents will have better access to their children's
teachers if they have Internet access on their desks. With the Internet, it
doesn't matter much if the parent's home service is Compuserv, America
On-Line, or any other commercial service. The mail will flow.

6. Networking will eventually save schools costs in paper, storage,
secretarial time, physical mail delivery, long distance phone bills etc.
Money which can be better spent (or saved).
This won't happen if only half the district is networked, and it won't
happen right away. But if business are buying into networking, you can bet
it's not because it adds to operating costs!

7. Internet use will help improve reading, writing, and higher level
thinking skills.

8. The Internet will give students chances to work with people from other
cultures and countries.

9. Students will have better informed teachers.
Lesson plans, curriculum guides, newsletters, and on-going professional
discussions on the Internet keep educators informed about the latest
theories as well offering "field-tested" techniques.The problem solving
atmosphere of the Internet is like being at a professional conference all
year.

10. Students will have better job opportunities living in a community that
is attractive to new business and industry.
Rivers and railroads of past centuries determined whether communities
prospered or died. Electronic highways and an educated population which
knows how to navigate them will play an increasingly important role when a
business decides where to locate (or whether to relocate)

11. Internet activities will give students guidance and practice using good
judgment in selecting electronic resources.

12. We need to instill an "active" rather than "passive" use of the so
called Information Superhighway.
Some theorists believe that the Internet will become just a TV on steroids.
Kids right now need a chance to use and produce information, and the
Internet is a perfect place to start.

13. On the Internet nobody knows you're a dog.
Or a jock or gay or handicapped or that your mom has a rep or what kind of
car you drive etc. For many children, the Internet will be a place where
they can contribute and be judged on the quality of their thoughts and
communication skills alone.

Add your reasons here:

Doug Johnson, District Media Supervisor |  What gets measured
Mankato Public Schools, ISD77           |  gets done.
Box 8713, Mankato MN 56001-8713         |           Tom Peters
507-387-7698                            |
palsdaj@vax1.mankato.msus.edu           |

LM_NET Archive Home