Ahhh... how our perspective changes with the positions we hold.
As a coordinator of library services in a large school district [18
secondary schools] I argues and presented briefs and lobbied for
department head status for our teacher-librarians--the heads of some
centers had five staff members [the good old days...]. All to no avail.
As a senior education official I convinced "my colleagues" and it happened.
Now as a trustee I just voted to eliminate all department headships for
all subject/service areas to save teacher jobs but insisted on an
examination of school governance and structure and the provision of much
more planning time than schools had ever seen, all much cheaper than the
department head allowances [$5000 each].
...as the world [stomach?] turns...

Ken Haycock
School of Library, Archival and Information Studies
The University of British Columbia
831-1956 Main Mall, Vancouver, BC  V6T 1Z1
Voice: 604-822-4991  Fax: 604-822-6006
Internet: haycock@unixg.ubc.ca

                Preparing Professionals to Exercise Leadership in
                Planning, Implementing and Promoting the
                Preservation, Organization and Effective Use of
                Society's Recorded Information and Ideas