>....he has found a way of labelling a file with what looks like a blank
in front of the filename. I can see those files exist when I type the dir
command but I can't read them or delete them. Does anyone know what the
character could be?

     He's a smart little guy all right. He's learned how to create the
extended character known as "blank" (which you create by holding down the
Alt key while hitting the numeric keypad numbers (in succession) 2, 5,
and 5 (then release Alt).

     It's no problem to deal with this latest DOS wizardry from the little
whiz though. Just insert the question mark character (?) in place of the
blank to rename it or delete it. Example: For a file with a blank like
GUY 23.DOC do this to rename it: REN GUY?23.DOC GUY23.DOC <ENTER>
or to kill it just type: DEL GUY?23.DOC <ENTER>

     I've seen this before a few times!! Just wait til he gets to
high school!

Russell Smith
rssmith@tenet.edu
Educational Technologist