Nancy,
We are a 2bit elementary and hi school with a small collection of
biographies.  I have found that it doesn't matter too much where you put
them as long as you do so consistently.  Thus, when I took over this
position I looked at where the majority of the bios were kept and chose
to keep them all in B....I use a cutter for the biographee and the first
initial of the author's last name;
                        K29

would be the number for a biography about Helen Keller by Kudlinski...i'm
making up the cutter from home.

If it is collected, we use Coll. as a suffix...Hope this helps!

Roselle

<<ps: if anyone sees a flaw in this, please -don't- tell me unless you
have a solution :-)  >>

American School for the Deaf
r_weiner@sacam.oren.ortn.edu

On Tue, 30 Aug 1994, NANCY PALMA wrote:

> I have a friend who is the librarian in a small private high school library.
> She has been assisting a local grade school with moving and setting up their
> library and has noticed discrepancies with the way various school libraries
> catalog and shelve their single and collective biographies. She would like to
> know if there is a definitive way to catalog single biographies - 92 or 921?
> What schedule do you use? HOw do you catalog collective biographies - 920?
> Where are biographies, both single and collective supposed to be shelved? Does
> it really matter? She has taken an undergraduate cataloging course but says
> that Dewey does not treat single biographies. Any help would be appreciated. I
> have worked with LC for the past 8 years and do not remember much about Dewey
> cataloging. TIA, Nancy Palma, Venango Campus, Clarion Univ. of PA, Oil City,PA
> palma@vaxa.clarion.edu

LM_NET Archive Home