I too tend to attract the school misfits (could be because I too ws one
as a child)...and frequently have a line of them waiting to get into the
library when I arrive in the morning.  Like Doug I am lucky enough to
have lots of technology which they adore.  I have a couple of hard and
fast rules (share the computers and no running) and they pretty much obey
them.  Most of the misfits hate school and if they find one place they
like..well maybe it will spill over into other areas.  A lot of the
teachers here use "extra library/computer" time as a carrot for behavior
improvement.  I consider it a compliment to be ranked up there with extra
recess and stickers!

                           Guusje Moore
                 Librarian, Housman Elementary School
                           Houston, Texas