We opened a new high school media center last year and no signage was
provided. I didn't really like what was available so I used an idea that
I also used in 1981 at another school district when we opened a new media
center there.  I made the signs myself.  I bought Contac self-adhesive
vinyl in rolls, used stencils to trace the letters(lay them down
backwards on the backing of the vinyl) and then cut them out while I was
watching TV.  Be patient because it DOES TAKE TIME.  The advantages are,
however, that you can custom make your signs to whatever size, color,
shape and creative additions that you want.  Another tip: You can taylor
the size of your letters by using the opaque projector to enlarge the
stencils  and hang your Contac right side facing out and draw your
letters on it.  It's important that you use Contac because it will stick
directly on cement block walls and on the ends of book stacks, etc.  Our
Vo-Ag teacher tried using another(more expensive) type of self-adhesive
and it kept peeling off the wall.  He finally bought the Contac and redid
the letters and he's had no problem since.  You can also get creative in
how you put up the letters.  I used two shades of the same color and
placed the darker color underneath the lighter to create a shadow
effect.  It's quite striking.  I also slanted some of my words up the
wall and added a squiggle unlerline underneath.  Lastly, are the 3 best
reasons for doing this: 1) It's very inexpensive 2) Everyone thinks the
letters are painted until they look really closely 3) When you tire of
them or move things around, you simply peel the letters off and redo
them. No fuss, no mess, no upset custodians or administrators!  Have fun:-)

On Wed, 30 Nov 1994 JGUSHIKE@UWLAX.EDU wrote:

> I would like names, addresses, and telephone numbers of vendors
> which sell quality signage for libraries.  I am in a new high school
>  LMC and need signage for brick walls and to hang from ceiling.  I
> am already aware of Demco, Highsmith, and Brodart.  Any other names
> would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.
> Joan Gushiken
> Holmen High School
> JGUSHIKE@UWLAX.EDU

LM_NET Archive Home