I recently wrestled with this same problem.  I finally requested paper
and ribbons out of my library supplies budget.  My thought is to keep
records of how much paper and ribbon is used during the year so that next
year we can either charge a small fee per page OR up the students' school
fees to reflect this use.  I just could not justify picking an arbitrary
cost to printing without some data to back it up.  By the way, we do
charge $.10 per copy for photocopies, but the copier was bought with
activity funds that we raised and the charge is for maintenance, toner,
and paper, since this is not paid for out of general funds.

On Mon, 5 Dec 1994, Hilary A. Whitehill wrote:

>         Our high school library presently charges students 10
> cents a page to xerox or to print out from our CDs, and we're
> debating whether to continue this practice.  Aside from _The
> World Book_, which we have in print form, students have no
> other way to get hard copies of the information.
>         On the other hand, we are reluctant to have kids feel
> as if they can print out pages & pages -- with no limit.  It is
> not free to us, & we're concerned that costs & tying up our 2
> printers could get out of hand.
>         Apologies if this has been dealt with already, but I'd
> appreciate any bright ideas!  Thanks,.
> --
> Hilary Whitehill - hwhitehi@pen.k12.va.us
> Librarian, T.C. Williams High School, Alexandria, Virginia

LM_NET Archive Home