Wendy asked for the names of female scientists other than Marie Curie,
who by the way is the token female in many biography reference books on
scientists.  It's taken awhile to get back to it. I'm posting to the list
thinking that others may be interested.  This isn't an exhaustive list,
but I was surprised at how many Nobel winners are on it. They have an *
after the name.
Adamson, Joy; Agassiz, Elizabeth Cary; Bem, Sandra; Britton, Elizabeth;
Boring, Alice; Bunting, Mary; Cannon, Annie; Carson, Rachel; Corey, Gertie*;
Curie, Marie*; Deutsch, Helen; Elion, Gertrude*;  Emerson, Gladys;
Fleming, Williamina;  Franklin, Rosalind;  Furbish, Kate;
Goeppert-Mayer, Maria* ;  Goodall, Jane; Hodgkin, Dorothy Crowfoot*;
Lyman, Libby;
Joilot-Curie, Irene*:  Levi-Montalicini, Rita*;  Mitchell, Maria;
Patrick, Ruth;  Quimby, Edith Hinckley; Richards, Ellen Swallow; Rubin,
Vera; Sabin, Florence;  Sager, Ruth;  Yalow, Rosiland*--

        Betsy Springer
        Downers Grove South H.S.
        1436 Norfolk St.
        Downers Grove, IL 60516