In my former life as a Home Ec. teacher, I did this often with my
classes.  Use any sugar cookie recipe, or buy the refrigerated dough.
Roll out and cut as usual.  use smaller cookie cutters or a paring knife
to cut openings in the center of the cookies.  Sprinkle crushed
lifesavers into the openings.  Be generous with the lifesavers to avoid
holes in the cookies.  Bake as usual.  The lifesavers (or any hard
candy--buy in bulk to save money)  will melt.  Let the candy harden again
before removing the cookies.  Remeber to grease the cookie sheets well,
and if the cookies stick to the sheet, put it back in the oven or on a
burner until the metal is warm. Also, if these are for ornaments you can
poke a hole for hanging with a skewer before they are baked.

Happy Holidays!
Linda Young
lsyoung@mailbox.syr.edu

On Mon, 12 Dec
1994, Sara Wolf wrote:

> A second grade techer-friend of mine is interested in making ornaments
> with her students.
>
> She remember reading about a way to make "stained glass" with dough of
> some sort, and crushed life-savers.
>
> If anyone has a copy of the recipe, she would be "eternally grateful."
>
> I remember seeing it in one of the parents magazines, I think.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Sara Wolf
> Swolf@nova.wright.edu

LM_NET Archive Home