From:   IN%"marc@quest.arc.nasa.gov" 12-DEC-1994 17:54:24.26
To:     updates-lfa@quest.arc.nasa.gov
CC:
Subj:   Newsletter #2

Date: Mon, 12 Dec 1994 14:29:26 -0800
From: marc@quest.arc.nasa.gov
Sender: owner-updates-lfa@quest.arc.nasa.gov
Subject: Newsletter #2
To: updates-lfa@quest.arc.nasa.gov
CC: marc@quest.arc.nasa.gov

P A S S P O R T   T O    K N O W L E D G E
__                         ______
 |                         |
 |     __   _    _  __     |___  ___   __  __    __
 |      |    \  /  |__     |     |__| |  | | \  / |
 |     _|_    \/   |__     |     |  \ |__| |  \/  |
 |____                    _|_

    /\
   /  \     _  _  ___   _   ___  ___ ___  __  ___   _
  / __ \    |\ |   |   /_\  |__| |    |    |  |    /_\
 /      \   | \|   |  /   \ |  \ |__  |   _|_ |__ /   \
/        \

DECEMBER 12TH                                                  UPDATES-LFA-2

This is the second newsletter update of the Live from Antarctica project,
a Passport to Knowledge Electronic Field Trip.   In the Teacher's Guide we
describe the project as having three components, or three T's:

   ++ Television ++      ++ Telecommunications ++     ++ Teachers ++

We use these three components to organize our online newsletters.

               ---====|   T E L E V I S I O N   |=====---

10, 9, 8....The countdown to the LIVE tv programs connecting students
with the  Antarctic is in its final stages, with only *** hours ***
remaining. Technical tests show clear pictures and sound from the
mountain-top high above the Dry Valleys, the scene with which we hope
to open the first program.

So, knowing it CAN be done, we hope for good weather and working
satellites for the first program:

           THE COLDEST, WINDIEST, ICIEST PLACE ON EARTH
                    December 13th at 2:00 PM (EST)

and the second program

                  LIFE IN ANTARCTICA, THEN AND NOW
                    December 15th at 2:00 PM (EST)

Live from Antarctica series will be carried on over 65% of the nations
PBS stations (including Chicago and New York) broadcasting to homes and/or
schools. Some people have reported their local PBS station is not carrying
the programs "live." at the original times. Some PBS stations are taping the
first two  programs, and will air them in January them as introduction to
the exciting and unique January 10th program, SPACESHIP SOUTH POLE. Check
local listings, and call your local station to see if they are providing a
closed-circuit feed to schools. (By the way, THE NEW EXPLORERS prime time
program based on LIVE FROM ANTARCTICA is slated for June 1995.)

We are glad to announce that NASA-TV is carrying programs 1, 3 and 4
live. Program 2 coincides with a live Russian-American press
conference about an upcoming joint mission, and so NASA-TV will run
that program starting at 16:00 hours (4:00 PM EST) Thursday,
December 15th, 1994.  One excellent thing about NASA-TV is that it then
"rotates" its programs in a block, rebroadcasting them at least
3 times in the original day. Another advantage is that many
cable systems either do, or **can** carry NASA-TV. The
coordinates for NASA-TV are: SPACENET 2, C-band, 69 degrees West
longtitude, transponder 5 (channel 9), frequency 3880.0 Mhz, Horizontal
polarization, audio on 6.2 and 6.8. We hope this provides an alternate
way of accessing the programs, live or on tape.

MEETING THE SCIENTISTS WORKING IN ANTARCTICA....

Working in Antarctic conditions challenges advance planning. One
of our guest scientist, ANN GRUNOW who was to talk about the
Texas-Antarctica land connection is not in the Antarctic for
medical reasons. We are delighted to announce the participation
of IAN DALZIEL instead.

        Dalziel (pronounced D-L) has been studying the geology of
        Antarctica, the Andes and other mountains since earning his
        Ph.D. in his native Scotland at the University of Edinburgh.
        He is now a Senior Research Scientist at the Institute for
        Geophysics of the University of Texas, in Austin. In
        1992 he received the Murchison Medal of the Geological
        Society of London. Whenever possible he likes to travel
        with his wife, Linda, son Kyle, daughter Kacie, and to
        scull on Town Lake. He wrote the cover story in
        the upcoming (Jan 1995) SCIENTIFIC AMERICAN on "Earth
        before Pangea" which describes his past research in Antarctica.

Responding to student questions about weather is someone who works with
weather every day, Lt. Commander John Joseph, of the U.S. Navy.

        Lt. Commander John Joseph is the Meteorology Division Officer,
        of the U.S. Naval Support Force, Antarctica. He has a B.A. in
        Chemistry and a Masters in Science Education. He was a high school
        science teacher for 6 years, teaching chemistry, math and
        physics. He entered the Navy in 1982, and among other
        assignments, was attached to the Joint Typhoon Warning Center
        in Guam, and was an oceanographer aboard the USS PELELIU.
        He has a 15-year old son, 5 sisters and one brother,
        "all married with children", he writes, with about a dozen
        great nieces and nephews. He loved teaching and hopes to
        return to it one day, and says it is a great experience
        to be in Antarctica, trying to understand and predict
        the most extreme weather he has ever seen, and supporting
        some very interesting science.

In addition, we will meet Diane Stoecker on tape, and see that while she
studies algae at the ice-edge, Emperor penguins study her!

PROGRAM 2:
We are delighted to say that Diana Freckman remains on tap to be our Dry
Valleys guest,(see the Teacher's Guide, p.17 for a short description
of Diana) but weather and travel logistics will dictate whether Gerry, or
Carsten or Tory Kooyman (Teacher's Guide, p. 17) makes it back to talk
about seals or penguins at the sea-ice cracks near Scott Base. (Carsten
is the subject of the first Challenge Question!---see telecommunications
below for more on this---) There were also only a few seals there when
Deane Rink, our field producer, last checked! However, we are hoping for a
few more, and for good weather to let one of the Kooyman clan return from
their remote field site. As promised, if they get "socked in" we'll have a
substitute guest
fully able to talk about the unique marine mammals of the Antarctic!

FORTY MINUTES GROWS TO ONE HOUR!

A late-breaking development is that while each program will have a solid
break at 40:00 as promised (and some PBS stations have already planned
local materials to "fill" up to the hour) MPT and GEOFF HAINES-STILES
PRODUCTIONS, the producers, decided that since interaction with
Antarctica is so unique, they would return to the live classrooms after
the 40:00 break to allow more spontaneous student Q&A with the
researchers at the various sites in Antarctica. This provides about
16:00 more minutes for truly long distance learning! We hope -- if you
are able to receive this -- that you find this experiment of interest.
If your local station does not carry this last segment, please do not
blame them, since it was a late change in program plans.

In the final hours of pre-production we are trying to shape programs
that are both informative and lively, and we look forward to hearing
your responses either online, or via the Evaluation Forms which can be
found in the printed Teacher's Guide.

         ---====|   T E L E C O M M U N I C A T I O N S   |=====---

We provide three levels of communication to Live from Antarctica:
email, gopher and web access.

Through Internet Email:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        updates-lfa: The reports about what is currently happening in
                     Antarctica.  Also, this weekly newsletter and other
                     notices about this and future Passport to Knowledge
                     projects

        discuss-lfa: A General Forum for Teachers who are following the
                     Live from Antarctica project through email.  This
                     group is invited to join theme oriented Learning
                     Centers for classroom work.

        To join these conferences send a message to:
                     listmanager@quest.arc.nasa.gov
        Leave the subject blank.  In the message body write:
                     subscribe updates-lfa     (choose one or
                     subscribe discuss-lfa      both options)

Gopher Server: quest.arc.nasa.gov
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

NEW THIS WEEK:

* The Challenge Questions posted by Antarctic Scientist are online and on the
  Live from Antarctica phone information (1-800-626-LIVE).

* We are now taking questions from students about Antarctica and will be
  posting question-answer pairs soon.  Meanwhile, there are many interesting
  question-answer pairs form a pilot project we ran last year.

THE ONLINE ARCHIVE INCLUDES THE FOLLOWING:
        Overview of the project
        An online version of the Teacher's Guide
    -*- A challenge Question
    -*- Field Journals from Antarctic Travelers and Scientists
    -*- Question and Answer Forum (to be open in a week)
    -*- National Science Foundation resources
    -*- More activities and resources
    -*- Online links to other related Internet sites
        Resources to help you use Internet/
        Evaluations

    -*- denotes that new information was added in the past week

Similar LIVE FROM ANTARCTICA online resources also available from

  PBS Learning Link
  SPACELINK (spacelink.msfc.nasa.gov/spacelink/hottopics/Live.from.Antarctica)
  Virginia Pen

The Web World of Live from Antarctica
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Please come visit      +-+ Live from Antarctica +-+

        The URL is http://quest.arc.nasa.gov/livefrom/livefrom.html

Comes see the worldwide resources assembled for your Antarctic Adventure!!!

** If you don't have access to any of these networks, or you don't      **
** have the time to access them, we will be working with B&R Samizdat   **
** Express who will be downloading resources and making them available  **
** (for a small service fee) on either MAC/IBM disks. We will post more **
** information on this when the disk are ready.                         **

                   ---====|   T E A C H E R S  |=====---

We are continuing to develop the opportunities for Participation through email.

FLASH: STUDENT LEARNING CENTERS ARE OPEN!!!!

        We have extended an invitation to all  discuss-lfa teacher
        participants to become more involved in the
        LFA project by joining Learning Centers --small groups of
        classrooms investigating common themes associated with
        each of the four televised programs (geology, biolgoy,
        astronomy, Antarctica) that would like to share projects.
        These classrooms will introduce themselves, post their
        projects, and exchange ideas, fostering a collaborative
        effort involving a diverse group of classrooms.

        To participate in a Learning Center, send an email message:

        To: listmanager@quest.arc.nasa.gov
        Subject:                                  [Leave the subject blank]
        Text:

        subscribe lc-geology-lfa
        subscribe lc-biology-lfa              [select the one that you would
        subscribe lc-astronomy-lfa              like to join]
        subscribe lc-antarctica-lfa

Welcome to our TEAM!!

        Some classrooms are joining in a unique opportunity to
        play a key role in the Question-Answer opportunity provided
        by Live From Antarctica.  Students and their teacher will
        become Co-Investigator Classrooms by serving as "research
        assistants" or "co-investigators" for one or more of the
        Antarctican researchers and other subject matter experts.
        These classrooms will be sent questions that are related to
        a topic, read and organize them (sorting them by type),
        researching partial answers, and submitting them to the
        researchers.  This service will help our researchers from
        being overwhelmed by the large numbers of questions and
        the tasks of organizing them.

So we hope you are all planning to join us in some way as we take
you to the Ice of Antarctica.

     /                                                                   \
     |  F I R S T   P R O G R A M S   T O  A I R   T H I S   W E E K     |
     |             D E C .  1 3 TH      D E C . 1 5 TH                   |
End of file    ......The Live from Antarctica Development Team....

LM_NET Archive Home