I've had a few requests to pass this on to the list.
I told susan, and others, that I would let people know how it
turned out.

Thanks to all who responded.

Sara Wolf
Swolf@nova.wright.edu
Sara, I knew someday I would be able to use this recipe!!!  It is many
years old.  Hope it is the one to which you are referring.

3/4 C shortening (part butter/marg. softened        1 tsp. b'king powder
1 C sugar                                           1 tsp. salt
2 eggs                                              6 pkgs. life savers
1 tsp. vanilla *or* 1/2 tsp lemon extract
                2 1/2 C flour

Mix shortening, sugar, eggs, and flavoring.  Blend in flour, baking
powder, and salt.  Cover and chill at least one hour.

Heat oven to 375.  Roll dough 1/8" thick on lightly floured cloth-covered
board.  Cut into desired shapes, using cutters of two sizes to obtain
cut-outs.  You can also design your own patterns.  Place cookies on an
aluminum foil covered cookie sheet.  Place whole life savers in the
cutouts.  Small cutouts may require that the lifesavers be broken.  Fill
cutouts until candy is just level with dough.  If cookies are to be hung,
make a hole in each one 1/4" from the top with the end of a plastic straw.

Bake 7 to 9 minutes or until cookies are very lightly browned and the
candy is melted.  If candy has not spread within the cutout design,
immediately spread with a *metal* spatula.  Cool completely before
removing from baking sheet.  Gently remove cookies.  Makes about 6 dozen
3" cookies.

Hope this is the one you want.  I have had it since 1973!!  Merry Holidays.

Susan Evans   (sevans@strauss.udel.edu)
W.B. Simpson Elementary
Camden DE 19934

LM_NET Archive Home