When my sister was in Girl Scouts, she learned a song called, I think,
"Julie Ann."  We used to sing it ad nauseum--it was a haunting song about
a young woman whose beau leaves to bring her silver from far-away mountains,
and while she waits and waits for him to get back, a hard winter hits
and she's stuck in a little log cabin and a hungry bear comes along.
There's a tragic ending involving the bear, but I don't know if it's
Julie Ann or her dog that makes the meal. A perfect song for cheerful little
girls who loved anything dramatic and melancholy.

Anyway, I wanted to find the lyrics again as a gift to her. We grew up in
Scottsdale, Arizona; I doubt if it's particular to that region, since it's
more of a mountain-dweller's tale, but I've never met anyone else who
heard of this song. Here's what I remember:

The shady side of Sunny Mountain,
That's the place it all began.
There once lived the fairest maiden,
And her name was Julie Ann.

Julie's beau was tall and handsome,
Just a poor boy with treasures few;
Still he promised rings of silver
For to prove his love so true.

CHORUS:
Can you see her in the moonlight,
Silver rings upon her hand?
Now she wears a crown of sorrow,
And her name is Julie Ann.

There are about 5 more verses, I think.

Of anyone knows anything about this song, I'd be eternally grateful. It's
one of those nagging loose ends in my life I'd like to tie up.

Thanks!

Elizabeth Bluemle
(sharing Josie L's computer account)

LM_NET Archive Home