These are the responses I received to my inquiry about Accelerated Reader and
Electronic Book Shelf.  Gene     gpotoka@calvin.wmich.fred.org
My daughters have ARP at their middle school...and as an end users
parent..the one thing that concerns me is that my kids (who are super
Competitive) are now choosing what books they wish to read based on how many
points it is worth on ARP...if it's not on the list, or not worth however
points they need, or below grade level (which their teacher won't let them
count) they won't read it. I think books should be selected based on taste or
interest or need...not points.  On the plus side it did convince
one daughter to substitute Lois Duncan for R.L. Stone.
I have used EBS for 6 years in a K-12 school, first on apples, then IBM,
then network.  I have been very happy--only don't expect all cheating to
be eliminated.  It really cuts back, but some kids can occasionally do OK
without reading the whole book.  I use it for a Caldecott contest in 2nd
grade.  I had moms help me write tests for all the Caldecott books that I
couldn't buy tests for.   Kids  get a certificate if they read 25 in 4
months and then I give a book to whoever reads the most.  In fourth grade
I have a contest with our Texas Bluebonnet books.  In middle school we
have a field trip for kids who have earned 30 pts in 8 months.  I give a
certificate for anyone who reads 20 pts, and first and second place get a
book award.  I have some other prizes too.  In high school the English
teachers use the grades instead of book reports but I don't have a contest.
I have in use right the Accelerated Reader for Grades 1-3.  The
teachers and students are very excited about the program.  The
comprehensive "tests" that the student takes after reading the book
is very good.  The Management system for the teacher was the selling
point for my teachers.  The program keeps a record of each book the
student reads and their scores.  It also averages the grades for you.
During an Inservice Workshop at the first of the year my Principal
let me demonstrate the Accelerated Reader to my teachers.  I let them
choose a book from the list and take a test.  They found first hand
that you must read the book in order to pass the test.  Cheating is
not possible.   Hope this helps.
I use the Accelerated Reader and am very happy with it.  Out scores in
Reading are the top in West Tennessee.  The supervisor gives a great deal of
credit to the Accelerated Reader.  The elementary school has Electronic
Bookshelf but switched to AR when I started having such success.  The AR
program has so many tests to choose from.  It is wonderful.  We require 6
points in 6th grade, 10 points (every six weeks) in 7th grade, 10 points in
8th grade, 12 points in 9th grade.  In 10th grade, they must read books on ar
above grade level and pass the tests.  The teachers love it.  Circulation is
up dramatically.  I know the children now read their books.  We give candy
for any points over the requirement.  Good luck.
I have used AR for 3 years in a 7 & 8th school and am very happy with it.
 Started with Apple 2's and this year it is on the network.  Company support
is very good.  Our prize situation is unique: 20 pts free ice cream in the
cafe; 40 pts an end of year party at a nearby pizza restaurant; 60 pts a GAP
certificate for $5.00;  80 pts a theater ticket; 100 pts $10 at a local book
store; highest score a $50 saving bond.  At the pizza party, we have
successful senior high students speak to the student and perhaps a local
celebrity.  It is fun and most student work at least for this party.
All teacher promote the program and it is open during the summer.  Most of
this is paid for by PTO and the PTO handle the summer hours.
This is our middle school's second year using Accelerated Reader with
our 8th grade "Reading" class.  Both the teachers and the students
are pleased with it.  The kids are actually looking for the more
challenging books (which are worth more points), instead of asking
for the "skinny" books.  Our plan now is to order more sets of
software, and see if our PTSA will help fund the purchase of the
accompanying books...
----------------------------------------------------------------- I am
currently using the Accelerated Reader program.  It was new this Sept.
So far the response by the students and teachers has been OVERWHELMING.  I
thought I had plenty of books, but I was wrong.  I have a second grade
student who has taken over 40 tests so far.  This program far out shines
what we have done in the past.  The students get immediate feed back and
teachers can see their progress.  I have a question on prizes and motivation
for next year.  I don't know if the enthusiasm will carry over or not.
 Students are given a bookmark when they successfully complete their first
test.  When they reach a certain point total they earn their AR badge.  The
principal awards these over closed circuit TV once a week.  We have a 100%
club, a 25 point club, and a 50 point club.  We also have awards for most
points at the end of the year and a competition between classes at each grade
level. If you want to know more let me know.
I have been using Accelerated Reader for six years in an elementary school.
 I use this program with fifth and sixth grade students.  It is a popular
program with teachers, parents, and students.  Students use the points they
use to qualify for class parties and special events like having lunch with a
visiting author.  Parents appreciate the quality of books that are on the
list.  Teachers like the ease with which they get reports of student reading
records.
We are a K-4 school and have used the Accelerated Reader for about 6 years.
 I  wouldn't trade it for anything!  Way back when, I also looked at the
Electronic Bookshelf, but there was just "something" about the AR that led me
to choose it over EB.  The program is very self-motivating.  Children who
don't excel at anything else can have success with AR.  The book list is
excellent, and includes a wide variety of titles, for all reading levels and
interest levels.  They also have disks available in Spanish on Spanish
literature.  Have you contacted them for free information?  They also offer a
demo disk that allows you to actually take a test.  Their toll free number is
(800) 338-4204.  I know this answer does not truly do justice to my thoughts
on this program - if you have specific questions, please feel free to contact
me.
We use Electronic Bookshelf.  We had a good discussion on this subject
last year, so you might try searching the LM_NET archives.  EB is a little
tricky to set up.  I have learned to follow the manual carefully.  But once
up and running, the Language Arts teachers love it.  Of course, I run the
program from the library, to maintain some control.  We don't use
rewards.....we use the program as an alternative to traditional book reports.
 I had to remove it from the menu because there was a small problem with
students taking tests for others. In general, we really like it.
I have used Electronic Bookshelf for 8 years in all three versions: IIe,
IBM, and Mac.  I have no complaints about it at all.  I have used it in
grades 1-12.  We have Accelerated Reader in two schools in our district.
The complaints about it are as follows:  cheating is hard to control, new
test disks for state books are incredibly slow arriving, and the same 10
questions over and over are too limiting.  I use prizes that are very
cheap or free.  Pictures in the hall.  Coupons to use Print Shop and the
banners hung in the hall.  Bookmarkers made with the Ellison machine.