From:     Mel Roseman
Subject:  Re: Poop
From:     mel@LAFN.ORG

Dale,

        I guess that I didn't make myself clear when I wrote you earlier
about poop(1) and poop(2).  As a result, readers may mistakenly continue
to confuse the two words and try to create a new "folk etymology" that
combines the two different words into a new one.

        There are two entirely different words that are homographs (words
that are spelled the same but are different) They are also accurately
called homonyms.  Think of  wind (air movement) and wind (twist) as examples.

poop(1) - stern of a ship from Latin

poop(2) - fart from Middle Dutch (to bubble)

        There is no connection at all between the two words.

        I'm sorry I didn't make this more clear when I first wrote you.

                                                Sincerely,

                                                - Mel Roseman
Thanks Mel, from Sandy Haggstrom (looks like my husbnd didn't change the from ag
 ain after reading his messages on my mailbox).

LM_NET Archive Home