Hi folks,

Part of Bill Hanson's post really struck a cord with me:

>I have a fear for some collegues though.  LMNET is a self selecting techo
>aware population, which is not representative of the school library
>community.  There is the other 90% or more of our colleagues who are not
>engaged in the new information technologies locally or globally.  The
>inclination of the technology learning curve varies, but it always is up.
>There is an incessant pressure to learn new skills and make opportunities
>happen, that methinks blows by some of our brethren.

While I believe 90% might be somewhat high in my neck of the woods, there
are certainly plenty of folks that the technology revolution is rushing
past. And that seems to be a choice which they have made. Between
publications, conferences, and other learning opportunities, one has to
literally cover one's eyes not to see what is happening in our schools, our
profession, our society.

I had always been afraid that many of less technically skilled, less
proactive, less leader-like media people will be replaced by clerks or
other paras. Call me hard-hearted, but I am now beginning to think that
this is part of a natural cycle of professions. (Does natural selection
apply to librarians?)

If media people who only do clerical jobs are replace by clerks - what's
the loss? Maybe a black-eye for the established library profession.

What's the gain? The salary saved by paying a para rather than a
professional. Hey, and our school has plenty of good place to spend
additional dollars. Only exemplary people left? Better educational
possibilities for our kids?

If tasks are vital to an organization, they will get done. And the people
who do them will be vital as well.

Doug

Doug Johnson, District Media Supervisor | An MIT study predicts the
Mankato Public Schools, ISD 77          | median age of Internet users will
Box 8713, Mankato MN 56002-8713         | drop from 26 to 15 within the
507-387-7698                            | next five years. (Bottom Line
djohns1@west.isd77.k12.mn.us or         | Personal 10/15/94 p.10)
palsdaj@vax1.mankato.msus.edu

LM_NET Archive Home