From:   CLUST1::NTFHMMT      "Freida_Hammett" 29-JAN-1994 09:58:53.48
To:     IN%"paula@FREENET.SCRI.FSU.EDU"
CC:     NTFHMMT
Subj:   RE: reasons to automate

Paula, I just read your article and have to ask you a question--I need
more information on your check-out procedure BECAUSE before we
automated circulation, I had devised a wonderful system that took care
of circulation almost without adult interference--we only had to quickly
check the book card in the pocket of the book before shelving it--that
was the total amount of effort the adult did in the circulation
process.  Now, my clerk is almost totally occupied with circulation.
Your description sounds like it would come the closest to answering
my concerns about child-centered automated check-out.  Who does your
school pictures--what did you ask for from them?  How do you keep your
children's cards?  Do you keep the same barcode for a student for all
their time at your school or do you change each year?  You have me
really excited about the possibility of freeing up my clerk from
circulation--and despite what I have seen from other schools where
children do their own check-out, I have not seen another system to
answer my concerns.  (We sometimes check out as many as 400 books
in one day--although average is about 275.)  Thanks, Freida Hammett
Centerville Elementary, 1529 Whitehall Road, Anderson, SC  29625

LM_NET Archive Home