Dear LM_NETters,

The following are the student outcome rubrics developed by the Haines Middle
School Technology Team during the 93-94 school year. Sorry for the text only
format. Feel free to use these, but understand that the final product in
non-text only form is a little more complete. Copies of the originals can be
obtained by sending a self-addressed stamped envelope to:
                         Haines Middle School
            305 South 9th Street
             St. Charles, IL 60174

   For more information contact Steve Baule at Baules@aol.com

Legend:
What: I = instruction, R = review
When: I RR would indicate 6th grade instruction, IR 7th grade, I 8th grade
By who: x = computer instructor/ classroom teacher, x media personnel
,-industrial arts teacher

MIDDLE SCHOOL SKILLS-BASED OUTCOMES FOR COMPUTER SYSTEM USE

 CRITERIA     OUTCOME              6  7  8

  - Understands and helps prevent damage caused by:
   - Illegal copying of software x I R R
   - Vandalism of computer software x I R R
   - Vandalism of computer hardware x I R R
   - Vandalism of a network x  I R
   - Vandalism of data x  I R
   - Viruses x  I R

  - Is able to use the computer operating system to:
   - Format new floppy disks x I R R
   - Open / save / copy / rename / delete files:
             - on a floppy disk x I R R
             - on a local hard drive x  I R
             - on a network server x  I R

  - Understands the importance of:
            - password security and helps to maintain it x  I R
            - making backups of data x I R R
            - virus protection procedures x  I R

MIDDLE SCHOOL SKILLS-BASED OUTCOMES FOR DATABASE USE

 CRITERIA     OUTCOME              6  7  8

  - Is able to:
   - Move through menu levels x  I R
   - Utilize the Browse and Layout layers properly x  I R
   - Create and delete individual records x  I R
   - Modify individual records x  I R
   - Limit search fields x  I R
   - Widen or narrow a search term as necessary x  I R
   - Check for accuracy of information x  I R
   - Customize layouts x  I R
   - Change the format and appearance of data x  I R
   - Create summary parts; headers, footers x  I R
   - Print selectively x  I R

  - Is able to:
   - Design database to meet particular needs    I
   - Create and define fields    I
   - Develop fields with automated entries    I
   - Develop calculated and summary fields    I

MIDDLE SCHOOL SKILLS-BASED OUTCOMES FOR GRAPHICS

 CRITERIA     OUTCOME              6  7  8

  - Is able to:
   - Create custom draw or paint graphics -  I R
   - Draw orthographic projections / 2 and 3 view drawings -  I R
   - Draw isometric drawings -  I R
   - Draw simple sketches -  I R
   - Develop layouts -   I
   - Develop an architectural floor plan -  I R
   - Draw a wall elevation -  I R
   - Understand computer art as another form of visual communication x  I R
   - Use the software tools of a graphics program to create computer art x  I

  - Is able to:
   - Find and import clip art -  I R
   - Scan a graphic and import it -  I R
   - Digitize a graphic from a video source    I
   - Convert scanned text from graphic form to text form    I

  - Is able to:
   - Modify and customize existing graphics -  I R
   - Generate a graph from a spreadsheet x  I R
   - Setup and print a graphic -  I R

MIDDLE SCHOOL SKILLS-BASED OUTCOMES FOR COMPUTER RESEARCH

 CRITERIA     OUTCOME              6  7  8

  - Uses the computerized card catalog or CD-ROM Periodical database to
search
   for a source by title / author / subject / keyword  x I R R
   - Is able to use menus and select displays x I R R
   - Is able to set and modify search limits as necessary x I R R
   - Is able to print out the results of the search x I R R
   - Is able to use the results to obtain the document x I R R

  - Uses CD-ROM Encyclopedias and other CD-ROM references to search for data
x I R R
   - Is able to search by keyword, phrase, subject or title x I R R
   - Is able to use menus and select displays x I R R
   - Is able to set and modify search limits as necessary x  I R
   - Is able to use multimedia data when necessary x  I R
   - Is able to selectively print out the results of the search x I R R
   - Is able to copy data to disk or network folder x  I R
   - Is able to cut and paste data into a new document x  I R
   - Understands copyright and citation requirements for data use x I R R

MIDDLE SCHOOL SKILLS-BASED OUTCOMES FOR SPREADSHEETS/GRAPHS

 CRITERIA     OUTCOME              6  7  8

  - Is able to:
   - Input data to the spreadsheet x  I R
   - Adjust column width x  I R
   - Utilize existing formula cells    I
   - Modify an existing spreadsheet    I

  - Is able to:
   - Create a graph from spreadsheet data x  I R
   - Select the appropriate graph type x  I R
   - Add titles and keys to make the graph understandable x  I R

  - Is able to:
   - Integrate a graph into a word processing document x  I R
   - Integrate a spreadsheet into a word processing document    I
   - Use fonts and styles to enhance the appearance x  I R

MIDDLE SCHOOL SKILLS-BASED OUTCOMES FOR WORD PROCESSING

 CRITERIA     OUTCOME              6  7  8

  - Words / Minute x I R R
  - Accuracy: typos do not occur to the point of interfering with the message
x I R R

  - Line spacing: utilizing double-spacing/single-spacing functions
appropriately x  I R
  - Margins: manipulating the margins of a document x  I R
  - Font Selection: selecting an appropriate font  to suit the purpose of the
writing x  I R
  - Footers: inserting footers and understanding their purpose/need x  I R
  - Pagination: utilizing pagination x I R R
  - Alignment: understanding and implementing appropriate alignments x  I R
  - Stylizing titles/subtitles: understanding and implementing the
appropriate style x  I R
  - Point size selection: understanding and implementing the appropriate style
 x  I R

  - Pasting / cutting / copying / moving  /manipulating text x I R R
  - Spell-checking: understanding that this is not a "fix all", but a compleme
ntary tool x I R R
  - Find / Replace: understanding the benefit to quickly locate / fix a word
x I R R
  - Thesaurus: understanding that this is not a "fix all", but a
complementary tool    I

  - Placing a  non-text object in a word processing document
   - Pasting x  I R
   - Insertion    I
   - Resizing    I
   - Cropping    I